October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month – an annual campaign to raise awareness about the impact of breast cancer. The American College of Sport’s Medicine® (ACSM) recommends regular physical exercise for those who have been diagnosed with breast cancer and for cancer prevention.
– Lower risk of developing cancer
– Lower risk of cancer recurrence
– Fewer and less side effects from treatment
– Maintain and build muscle mass
– Supports bone health
– Improves mobility
Move as Often as You Can – Recommendations from ACSM®
– Avoid inactivity and return to normal daily activities as soon as possible after diagnosis and treatment.
– Take part in regular physical activity.
– Start slowly and build up the amount of physical activity over time.
– Build up to at least 150 minutes of moderate or 75 minutes of vigorous intensity activity each week.
– Exercise several times a week for at least 10 minutes at a time.
– Include resistance training exercise at least two days a week.
– Do stretching exercises at least two days each week.
Need help with your workout plan? We can help! Please stop by the Member Services desk to get started on your fitness journey.
MyFitRx® 8-week Pathways
Guides movement to help reduce fatigue while improving muscle function and range of motion.
For more information about MyFitRx®, please visit the Member Services desk.
DePolo, J. (2022, August 23). Managing Life With Cancer Exercise . Retrieved from BreastCancer.org: https://www.breastcancer.org/managing-life/exercise
STAFF, N. (2020, May 15). For Women with Breast Cancer, Regular Exercise May Improve Survival. Retrieved from National Cancer Institute: https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/cancer-currents-blog/2020/breast-cancer-survival-exercise</strong
Click below to learn more.Membership
Sign up to receive our Newsletter and Emails
Monday - Friday 5:00 am - 9:30 pm
Saturday - Sunday 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Valley Health Wellness & Fitness Center - 401 Campus Blvd. - Winchester, Virginia - 22601 - (540) 536-3000
LLT Group - Website Design & Creative Agency